This summer I am going on a whirlwind trip to 6 locations: San Diego, Switzerland, Germany, Lithuania, Norway and Holland from June 8th- August 12th.
During the month of July, I will once again be working at the Summer Language Institute at LCC International University in Lithuania. For the other 4+ weeks I will be traveling!
As I write this, I've already jumped in to the first step of the adventure: San Diego. I'm here to visit my one of my best friends from Iowa newly transplanted to Cali: Makiko Overbay.
California is definitely an interesting cultural experience. I'm making a list of cultural differences here from the midwest:
- The colors of the scenery are beautiful here... very muted. Light yellow sand, soft greens, light blues. It's like everything was dusted with a soft white mist.
- Everyone is in pretty good shape. Not as much obesity. It seems like men having 6 packs are the norm, and every surfer is good looking...hah :)
- There are A LOT of marines here. No comment on that.
- Wearing a one piece swimming suit will get you more attention than a 2 piece.
- Dogs are free to go everywhere with you. Even, apparently, unattended in the grocery store.
- Very little grass, or open green space.
- Lots of people in a very small space.
- People aren't super friendly. I don't know HOW you would meet people if you were new in this town.
- People in the "North Country" above San Diego rarely go down in to the actual city of San Diego.
More thoughts to come...